We all get a little stir-crazy when winter seems to drag on during these cold months. It can get to the point where we all feel like shut-ins and, as a mom of a small child, I get tired of cleaning up all of the glitter and slime that I provided as indoor entertainment. (Note-to-self: how to remove slime from carpet!) We all need to get out and shake things up! To help with that, here is our list of activities in Wichita that you can do to clear up those winter blues and boredom.
Here is a list of the topics in this article:
- Visit a Museum
- Go to the Movies
- Check out a Game
- Get Active
- Get Wild
- Go Sledding
- Get Crafty
- Date Night Ideas
- Boredom Busting Ideas
- Discount Shopping
The first place I’d start is to visit our blog dedicated to all of the great indoor gaming and play-place spots that Wichita provides! See our article dedicated to this HERE!
Visit a Museum:
Wichita has several great museums that have dedicated children’s areas. Visit our list of Museums under our indoor activity blog
Go to the Movies!
Grab your popcorn and candy, sit back, and enjoy the show! There are several great movie theaters in Wichita. Here is our list!
The Dome at Exploration Place
Carey Digital Dome Theater at the Cosmosphere
Check Out a Game!
There are several great sports teams playing during the winter months. Get into the local sporting pride and take in a sporting event together!
- Wichita Sky Kings – is a new Pro TBL basketball team in Wichita, KS. They will be playing at Koch Arean at Wichita State University.
- Wichita Thunder Hockey – Cheer on the home team at INTRUST Bank Arena where the Wichita Thunder Hockey take to the ice in all their ECHL glory. The regular season runs from October to April.
- Wichita State Basketball – Head to Charles Koch Arena for a home game for Wichita State Shocker athletics. The men’s basketball games draw a loud crowd, making the roundhouse one of the arenas with the best home-court advantage according to ESPN.
- Get the blood pumping at one of Wichita’s indoor sporting and activity locations. See our full list in our Indoor Activity blog!
- Bowling at The Alley Indoor Entertainment, Northrock Lanes, or West Acres Bowl.
- Jumping at Aviate Wichita Sports Forum, Jumpy Jump Land, or Urban Air
- Go Golfing: Visit Golf-In or check out the ALL NEW TOP GOLF. Find out how to experience Top Golf on a Budget
- Ice Skating: Wichita Ice Center or the temporary rink at Chicken N’ Pickle – Ice Rink closed for the 2023 season
- If you are looking for something active to do for FREE every Saturday, this is for you! Check out Exploration Pace Park Run. It’s completely FREE.
Even with the cold weather, our local zoos are still thriving with excitement and entertainment.
- Botanica: $5 admission for January and February Every season is beautiful at Botanica, but this deal will be especially nice on those unseasonably warm winter days.
- Sedgwick County Zoo: Winter Wednesdays.
- Wild Encounters – Get up close and personal with SCZ’s animal ambassadors! From an elephant to a penguin – each encounter provides an incredible hands-on experience that’s memories and education will be long-lasting. Visit their website for more information.
- Check out one of the Best Playgrounds in and around Wichita. We get some nice days every so often.
- Not much is cheaper or more relaxing than taking a walk or biking outside. Thankfully, there are some really great walking and biking trails in Wichita that ensure we never get bored with the scenery. Here are our top 9 walking and biking trails
- Hop in our car and check out the beautiful murals around Wichita! This to totally FREE. Here is the location and info about Wichita Murals.
Wichita usually gets at least one perfect sledding snowfall. If you haven’t already picked out your favorite local sledding location, here are some great spots to shred that powder!
- College Hill Park
- Sedgwick County Park
- Mid-America All-Indian Center
- West Kellogg Hill by Cracker Barrel
- Soccer Field Hill at Oliver & George Washington Blvd.
What better way to shake things up than to express your artistic sides! Several art and craft locations in Wichita are holding weekly and monthly class sessions that are sure to entertain not only the kiddos, but the parents too (not to mention the keepsake it will create)! Visit their websites for event lists and details.
Date Night Ideas:
Do you need a night out or tired of being stuck inside? Check out our list of Date Night ideas:
Boredom Busting Guide
Whether it’s the cold weather keeping you in or that lack of funds to go out and spend – these days it can be difficult to entertain yourself at home. Here is our list of Boredom Busting Ideas!
- Go to the monthly Wichita Flea Market
- A Bin Store is a liquidation place with crazy good deals. Find out more about Bin Stores here!
- You don’t have to travel as far as Kansas City or Oklahoma to shop outlet malls for name-brand merchandise at bargain prices. Here are Wichita Outlet and Discount Stores in and around Wichita
- Dollar Stores what to buy and what not to buy.