There are many places you can buy a live Christmas tree, but if you want the full traditional Christmas tree experience, you won’t want to pick it up at a store lot. Take a page out of Clark Griswold’s book and build some great family memories, carry on a family tradition, or make a new tradition at one of these family-owned Christmas tree farms near Wichita.
Going out with the family to choose your live Christmas tree seems like the perfect way to kick off the holiday season. But where can you find a Wichita Christmas tree farm?
The ones on this list are just a short drive from home, and several offer fun family holiday activities to make the experience even more special.
Can you just imagine driving home with a live Christmas tree strapped to the roof of your car? You’d be your kids’ holiday hero!
And when you’re done with the tree, you can find a list of places to recycle your tree for free here.
If a fresh-cut tree isn’t in your budget or seems like too much of a hassle – you could still find an excuse to drive out to one of these tree farms to purchase evergreen boughs, decorated fresh wreaths, or shop for other holiday items in their gift shops.
This list isn’t about finding the best bargain on a live Christmas tree. In fact, for the tree itself, you will probably pay a bit more. (See “How Much Does a Real Christmas Tree Cost?” below.) But the bargain here is in the experience of a day spent with the family choosing your own real tree, cutting it down, and bringing it home to decorate.
See our list of other ways to make your holidays special!
Christmas Tree Farms Near Wichita
Find a real Christmas tree farm near you in our list below. We found family-owned farms to the north, south, and east of Wichita, plus a couple of Kansas Christmas tree farms closer to Newton and Hutch.
Prairie Pines Christmas Tree Farm in Maize
Perhaps the best well-known Wichita Christmas tree farm is Prairie Pines. It’s a gorgeous place, and it’s close! On Tyler Road, just north of 37th Street, you can choose your own live Christmas tree, visit with Santa, ride a horse-drawn carriage, and find delightful holiday-themed decor like wreaths, ornaments, and greenery in the gift shop.
- Where: 4055 N. Tyler Rd., Maize, KS 67101 (316) 722-1145
- When: Opens for the season the day after Thanksgiving and usually closes around the week before Christmas.
- Cut Your Own Tree Price: $79
- Pre-Cut Tree Price: $99+
- Types of trees they grow: Varies each season, but generally Austrian, Virginia, and White Pines. They also offer pre-cut trees in other varieties, such as Fraser, Noble, and Concolor fir trees. Visit this page for their full list, this year.
- Services: Choose & cut or pre-cut Christmas trees for sale, tree-shaking, trimming stump, and helping to load and tie the tree to your car. (They have the tying supplies.)
- Activities & Extras: Old Barn Christmas Shop, hot chocolate and cookies, horse-drawn rides out to choose a tree, train rides (children’s train), Santa visits, dinner theater. No professional photo sessions should be scheduled. See our blog regarding their Old Fashioned Christmas event.
Windy Knoll Tree Farm
- Where: 15630 E. 47th Street South, Derby, KS 67037 (316) 733-0918
- When: Opens for the holiday season on November 22, 2022.
- Types of trees: Austrian Pine, Scotch Pine, and Virginia Pine. They also typically offer pre-cut Fraser Fir, Black Hill Spruce, Douglas Fir, Concolor, Michigan Grand Fir, and White Pine.
- Activities & Extras: Book a class to make your own wreath or pine tree gnome! Also available are custom-decorated live wreaths, fresh garland, and a gift shop with several festive items to take home with you.
Pine Lake Christmas Tree Farm near Derby
- Where: 6802 S. Oliver Street, Derby, KS 67037 (316) 258-0088 / (316) 259-5378
- When: Opens Nov 20, 2022, 2-6 pm. Visit their website for the full list of hours.
- Types of trees they grow: Scotch Pines, Austrian Pines, White Pines, Virginia Pines. Pre-cut Fraser Firs and other pines also offered.
- Activities & Extras: Wreaths and centerpieces with freshly cut greens, a variety of farm-made gourmet foods like jams, pies, and sweet pickles, tree stands and other tree accessories.
4C Choose & Cut Christmas Tree Farm in East Wichita
- Where: 11229 E. Creed St., Wichita, KS 67210 (316) 684-0464
- When: 2022 hours have not been updated, however they typically open for the season the weekend after Thanksgiving from 10 a.m. to dark and close Dec. 18th.
- Types of trees they grow: Scotch Pines and Austrian Pines
- Tree Prices: $12/ft.
- Activities & Extras: Wagon rides, custom or pre-made wreaths and landscape trees
How Much Does a Real Christmas Tree Cost?
According to a survey done by the National Christmas Tree Association, the average price people paid for a real tree in 2021 was about $69.50. In Wichita, based on looking at the minimum prices at various local Christmas tree farms, you could spend $45 to $75 and even more for very tall or premium trees.
Artificial trees vary widely in price. New artificial trees at retail outlets are anywhere from $75 to $600! Of course, those go on sale too. And if you’re really on a budget, you may be able to find a used tree at a thrift store or garage sale for much, much less. The obvious benefit of buying an artificial tree is that it should last for several years. The drawbacks are equally obvious: you have to store it year-round, and it doesn’t have that “real tree” fragrance.
If you choose to visit a tree farm and cut your own tree, you’re usually getting more than just a tree. For some families, this is a holiday tradition that they don’t want to miss, and $75 for a day of fun for the family is not unreasonable. But since we’re talking about real trees, let’s be real – no tree (real or artificial) is going to make or break the holidays. Stressing out over bills in January is no way to start the new year. Choose what you can afford and enjoy what you have. It will be a great holiday either way!
Day by day guide to holiday events in Wichita
Christmas Lights in Wichita
Where to See Santa in Wichita
Horse-Drawn Carriage Rides
Holiday Craft Shows, Local Vendor Markets, and Shopping Events
Free and Cheap Activities for Winter Break in Wichita
Wichita Holiday Shopping Guide
How to Make the Holidays Special When You Can’t Afford Presents
Pine Lake Christmas Tree Farm
6802 S. Oliver Street
Derby, KS 67037
(316) 258-0088 / (316) 259-5378
Leave a Reply