Wichita has a plethora of free indoor story times to fuel your child’s imagination and keep you out of the ever changing Kansas weather. We have scoured the city and come up with the Ultimate List of Free Story Times in Wichita and the surrounding area!
Now if you’re like me, you probably already have lots and lots of children’s books at home or you’re thinking ‘Why do I need to go to a story time? I can just check them out at the library?’ While that may be true, story times are about so much more than just reading a book. There are the silly songs, the dancing, the excitement of having someone new read the stories and the interaction with the other kids. Story times are a great, inexpensive way to get out of the house. Most story times are 30 minutes to an hour long.
If you’ve never been to a story time, here is a brief breakdown of what happens. For the most part, children and parents sit together on the floor on reading mats or carpets. The storyteller starts off with interactive rhymes, silly songs or even a dance. Then he or she reads a main story and maybe one or two other books to get the kids excited about reading. Depending on the story time location, there may even be a small craft too. At the end of the story time, you will have the chance to browse other books to check out at the library or to purchase if it’s at a bookstore.
We’ve compiled a comprehensive day by day list of local story times to get your children interested in reading at an early age. Also, see below for links to the many public libraries that offer regular ongoing children’s story times and activities. We’ve also listed special story time events that are happening soon.
Don’t forget to share this list with your friends and family! Tell us in the comments below: What is your favorite story time location?
Weekly Story Times in Wichita
- 10 a.m. Fish Tales Story Time at the WATER Center (Second Tuesday of each month.) 101 E. Pawnee
- 10:30 a.m. Moxi Junction Story Time 319 S. Park Avenue in Maize, KS
- 10:30 a.m.-11 a.m. Kansas Humane Society’s Tot Tuesday Story Time (First Tuesday of each month September through May. Suggested $4 donation/family.)
- 10:30 a.m. Hurt’s Donuts-West location (only offered during the summer months) 7010 W. 21st St N.
- 10:30 a.m. Blue Baboon Books 9428 W. Central
- 11 a.m. Great Plains Nature Center Story Time 6232 E. 29th Street North
- 9:30 a.m.-10:15 a.m. Little Nature Lovers Story & Craft Time at Great Plains Nature Center 6232 E. 29th Street North
- 9:30 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Chick-fil-A Central & Rock Preschool Story & Activity Time (2nd Thursday of the month.) 7990 E. Central
- 10:30 a.m. Hurt’s Donuts-East location (only offered during the summer months) 3750 N. Woodlawn
- 10:30 a.m.-11 a.m. Watermark Books & Cafe Children’s Story Time 4701 E. Douglas
- 11 a.m. Story Time at Barnes & Noble in Bradley Fair 1920 N. Rock Road
Public Library Story Times:
The local public libraries have numerous story times at each branch location-too many to list here! Check the event calendars on the public library websites for story times and locations.
- Wichita Public Library
- Andover Public Library
- Derby Public Library
- Goddard Public Library
- Haysville Community Library
- Mulvane Public Library
- Valley Center Public Library
Storytime Events Coming Up
Wednesday, July 25, 2018
Friday, July 27, 2018
Saturday, July 28, 2018
Wednesday, August 1, 2018
Friday, August 3, 2018
Saturday, August 4, 2018
Wednesday, August 8, 2018
Friday, August 10, 2018
Saturday, August 11, 2018
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Friday, August 17, 2018
Saturday, August 18, 2018