Once again, the Wichita Public Library will host its annual preview of Academy Award-nominated short films in February.
This year marks the 33rd year the Wichita Public Library will screen Academy Award short subject films, free and open to the public. Since 1986 the Library has annually previewed the short films nominated in the animated, live action and documentary categories.
Wichita was one of the first in the nation to provide a way for the community to see these films.
The Library will provide opportunities at various times, dates and locations for people to see the films in advance of the live televised broadcast of the Academy Awards.
Screenings of the films in all shorts categories will happen on Saturday, February 16 and also on Saturday, February 23 at the Advanced Learning Library, both starting at 10:15 a.m.
Then, beginning February 17, the Library will host other screenings at the Advanced Learning Library and several of its branch libraries.
To qualify as a short subject for Academy Award consideration, films must be less than 40 minutes in running time (including all credits). Shorts are typically not rated and may not be suitable for all audiences. Some nominated films may not be available for screening due to rights limitations.
The full schedule of Academy Award screenings can be found on the Library’s event calendar at www.wichitalibrary.org.
- Saturday, Feb. 16, 10:15 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., Advanced Learning Library, 711 W. 2nd St.
- Saturday, Feb. 23, 10:15 a.m. to 5:45 p.m., Advanced Learning Library, 711 W. 2nd St.
- February 19, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. at the Advanced Learning Library, 711 W. 2nd St.
- February 20, 5-7:34 p.m. at the Rockwell branch, 5939 E. 9th
Live-Action and Animated Categories:
- February 17, 1:15 – 4:45 p.m. at the Alford branch, 3447 S. Meridian
- February 19, 4:00 pm – 7:30 pm at the Westlink branch, 8515 Bekemeyer
- February 21, 10:30 a.m. – 1:30 pm at the Advanced Learning Library, 711 W 2nd St.
- February 21, 5:00 pm – 7:45 pm at the Advanced Learning Library, 711 W 2nd St.
For possible schedule changes or for more information about the Wichita Public Library’s Academy Award® Shorts programs, please contact the Advanced Learning Library at (316) 261-8500 or visit the library website’s events calendar.
Just to reiterate, the films aren’t rated and may not be suitable for all ages. All showings are FREE!