Yes, it’s a snow day in Wichita. The first order of business is to make a snow fort or have a snowball fight or sled down the stairs on the back deck, but once our hands are frozen, what’s there to do?
Here are some ideas. Please add some of your own if you have any! (And if you know of any good sledding hills, tells us about those too, lol.)
Make SNOW ice cream! Jennifer shared this on our Facebook page:
“How about a snow ice cream recipe? Just mix 8 cups clean fresh snow with 1 cup milk, half cup sugar, and half tablespoon vanilla. Yum! You can also add chocolate syrup. Thanks, Jennifer!
You can also substitute 1 can sweetened condensed milk for the milk and sugar. Other readers suggested using KoolAid or Jello to make a homemade snow cone.
Try some crafty things!
- Check out my absolute favorite homemade play dough recipe here at Wichita on the Cheap
- Make a rubber-band powered boat
- Make a braided-rope dog toy (Easy and fun, and your dog will love it!)
- Recycle old magazines into beautiful bowls
- Learn animation: Make a pencil thaumatrope. Thanks to Skyler for the idea!
- Homemade Puffy Paint We’re trying this today. Thanks to Kristen for sharing the link!
Play some games, or invent your own!
- We love some of the ideas in this article, which has lots of links to how-to resources: Activities for a rainy or snow day
- Have your own story time with the online resources at the bottom of our summer reading post. (The websites listed in the bottom section are good all year!)
Screen time is almost inevitable. 🙂
- Stream movies from Vudu (some of them are free with ads)
If the roads are okay for driving, you could also find something to do on our huge list of places for indoor fun in Wichita.
Originally published February 21, 2013; updated for today!