Yes, it’s a snow day in Wichita. The first order of business is to make a snow fort or have a snowball fight or sled down the stairs on the back deck, but once our hands are frozen, what’s there to do?
Here are some ideas. Please add some of your own if you have any! (And if you know of any good sledding hills, tells us about those too, lol.)
Make SNOW ice cream! Jennifer shared this on our Facebook page:
“How about a snow ice cream recipe? Just mix 8 cups clean fresh snow with 1 cup milk, half cup sugar, and half tablespoon vanilla. Yum! You can also add chocolate syrup. Thanks, Jennifer!
You can also substitute 1 can sweetened condensed milk for the milk and sugar. Other readers suggested using KoolAid or Jello to make a homemade snow cone.
Make some more fun things!
- Chocolate syrup recipe at Living on the Cheap
- Homemade play dough recipes here at Wichita on the Cheap
- Make a rubber-band powered boat
- Make a braided-rope dog toy (Easy and fun, and your dog will love it!)
- Recycle old magazines into beautiful bowls
- Learn animation: Make a pencil thaumatrope. Thanks to Skyler for the idea!
- Homemade Puffy Paint We’re trying this today. Thanks to Kristen for sharing the link!
- Follow me on Pinterest to find more cheap ideas.
Play some games, or invent your own!
Screen time is almost inevitable. 🙂
- Stream movies from Walmart (the service is called Vudu) or Amazon Instant Video.
- Read free books! Here’s how. Or go directly to free ebooks at Amazon.
- Listen to free (and completely legal) music.
If the roads are okay for driving, you could also find something to do on our huge list of places for indoor fun in Wichita.
Originally published February 21, 2013; updated for today!