The Mayor’s tree lighting ceremony for the City of Wichita is happening Sunday, December 3
at Century II (in Old Town Square this year)!
In addition to the Wichita Christmas tree lighting, Lights on the River, hosted by Wichita Clean Streams, will add even more holiday festivity from 4-8 p.m. on the same evening!
It’s going to be lots of fun – rumors are that Santa Claus will be there – and the Newton Troubadors will perform classic holiday favorites. The celebration will end with a big fireworks show!
Start your evening at the Wichita Boathouse as early as 4 p.m. Then free Wichita trolleys will be available beginning at 5:30 p.m. to bring you to Old Town Square for the tree lighting and remarks from Wichita’s mayor.
Lights on the River is an annual floating lantern launch. It’s free to go. You can purchase a lantern for $5 and watch as your luminary and all the others float out into the Arkansas River. The proceeds from lantern sales benefit the non-profit Wichita Clean Streams, an organization that promotes water quality activities.
In addition to the lantern launch, they’ve planned other fun activities! Here’s the schedule of activities that are planned:
- 4 p.m. Festivities begin at the Wichita Boathouse
- Winter Wagon Rides
- S’mores station
- DJ Rocky K with holiday music
- Food Trucks and vendors onsite
- 5 p.m. Special appearance by Santa Claus
- 5:30 p.m. Trolleys arrive at Wichita Boathouse to take you to Old Town Square for the Wichita Christmas tree lighting
- 6 p.m. Mayor’s Christmas tree lighting ceremony begins
- 6:30 p.m. Trolley’s bring you back to the Wichita Boathouse for continued festivities. (Lantern sales stop at 6:30 p.m.)
- Lights on the River Launch
- 7:30 p.m. Spectacular Fireworks Show!
Be sure to check here for any weather-related schedule changes or for more information.
See more: Visits with Santa in Wichita