Wichita Parks and Recreation, Wichita Festivals, Bike/Walk Wichita and others will host the second annual Open Streets ICT – a FREE event in Wichita.
Open Streets ICT will bring Wichitans of all ages and fitness levels together for an active, fun, community-building afternoon on Wichita’s iconic Douglas Avenue.
So many cool events are scheduled for that day!
- There’s the Avenue Art Days mural crawl – snap a selfie with all 16 of the new murals going up and you can win a t-shirt!
- There’s the Delano Park dedication and FREE concert – it’s starts at 1 p.m. at 101 N. McLean Blvd. with a talk from the mayor and will be followed by Brother Jukebox.
- And of course, all of the activity stations will have so many cool things to do!
Modeled after successful open street events around the country, Open Streets ICT closes four miles of Douglas Avenue from the College Hill neighborhood to the historic Delano District. Traffic will be closed off and the street opened to young and old alike to enjoy biking, walking, running, dancing, yoga, entertainment, food, art, music, and more.
Open Streets ICT 2019 is scheduled for September 22. It will be a community-building and fun afternoon! Bring your bikes, skates, skateboards, or just walk around and meet your neighbors while you enjoy the music and food along the four-mile stretch of Douglas!
Pets are welcome too, as long as they’re on leashes and monitored at all times.
The QLine Trolley will be operated along 1st and 2nd Streets between Oliver and McClean during the Open Streets event. The QLine is FREE. (Bikes, trikes, and skateboards are allowed on board with you, but pets aren’t.)
You can cruise along the 4-mile stretch and find lots of FREE activities for kids and grownups at various hubs in the area. Stop by any of the hubs for entertainment, live music and dancing, art, a bite to eat from the food and snack trucks, and more.
Activity Hub Locations During Open Streets ICT 2019:
- College Hill (Douglas & Bluff)
- East High School (Douglas & Grove)
- Old Town (Douglas & Rock Island)
- Kennedy Plaza (Douglas & Century II Drive)
- West End (Douglas & Vine)
Check out the website Open Streets ICT for a full list of activities, music, and participating businesses in the area. They have an app this year too! That might be handy.