The Tallgrass Film Festival in Wichita has been called one of the best “under-the-radar film festivals in America” and an “undiscovered gem” by national media. Filmmakers from around the world participate. This year’s festival is in downtown Wichita, October 5 – 8, 2023.
This “stubbornly independent” film festival showcases films that you might not otherwise see in theaters. Featuring over a hundred films from numerous countries over four days in venues around Wichita, the Tallgrass Film Festival includes appearances by guest filmmakers, free educational events, parties, awards, and more.
How to get the Beat DEAL at Tallgrass Film Festival Wichita:
- Best Deal During the Festival:
- There are 38 completely FREE screenings. Click HERE for the FREE Films.
- It’s never too late to get involved. Want to volunteer? There are plenty of perks!
- Best Deal on TallPasses and Tickets:
- Early birds can get a HUGE discount on the TALLPass on May 16th, 2023 from 6:30 – 8 pm at Public at Brickyard. Click HERE for more info.
- Senior, Military, or Student – Use the discount code “Senior” when checking out to get 50% discount for tickets or passes.
- Matinee prices are also cheaper than tickets after 5pm.
They are celebrating their 21st year this year, so they are turning legal! To celebrate turning 21 they are going to put on some extra fun parties this year. Tallgrass is known to throw some fun parties. I personally loved attending these events. Newport Grill won their “best drink” contest at a recent fundraiser so they will provide the featured cocktail at all events. Tallpass holders get access to that!
Tallgrass Film Festival Events:
- September 29th – Free Event: Trailer Party for the 21st Tallgrass Film Festival
- At the Wichita Art Museum
- Join Tallgrass Film Association for a look at their 21st Annual Tallgrass Film Festival! Stop by the Howard E. Wooden Lecture Hall anytime from 6:30 to 8:30 pm for more information about the Festival, to buy tickets and passes, and to watch some of the trailers for the films we’ll be showing at the fest. This Event is FREE to attend and anyone is welcome.
- Trailer Parkty for the 21st Tallgrass Film Festival Facebook Event Page
- October 5th – The People’s Joker (Gala Film) + Bar Crawl
- Crown Uptown Theatre
“An unfunny clown with a Smylex addiction grapples with gender identity, love, and foes while founding an illegal comedy theater in Gotham City.”
“We’re 21!” Bar crawl will happen 4:30 – 6:30 pm at Piatto/Hopping Gnome/Lava & Tonic. You can buy a ticket to just the film ($15+fees) or the film and party ($45+fees).
- The People’s Joker (Gala Film) = Bar Crawl Tickets
- October 6th – Penitentia (Gala Film) + Dream On Party
- Wichita Orpheum Theatre
“Young attorney, Ale Villacaño, takes a pro bono prison rights base and gets quickly drawn into a criminal web and corporate negligence.” Followed by the Dream On party at 9 pm at Union Station. You can buy tickets for just the film ($15+fees) or the film and party($45+fees).
- Penitentia (Gala Film) + Dream On Party Tickets
- October 7th – Tokyo Cowboy (Gala Film) + Awards Party
- Wichita Orpheum Theater
“Brash businessman Hideki arrives in Montana having convinced his Tokyo bosses he can turn a profitless US cattle ranch into a premiere-performing asset. Yet when his Hardee’s-burger-loving Japanese Wagyu-beef expert fails him, Hideki is poised to misfire magnificently unless he identifies a missing element that’s key to the transformation… himself.” The awards ceremony will follow the film at 8:15 in the Orpheum Theater. The Awards Gala Party will follow the award ceremony at 9 pm at Cowtown. You can buy tickets to just the film ($15+fees) or the film and party ($45+fees).
- Tokyo Cowboy (Gala Film) + Awards Party Tickets
- October 8th – Conversation with Ad Astra recipient Barry Corbin
- Wichita Orpheum Theater
Join us for a special conversation with our Ad Astra guest on Sunday, October 8 at 4 pm and a VIP reception in the Candela beforehand at 2:30.
Leonard Barrie Corbin is an American actor. He is best known for his starring role as Maurice Minnifield on the television series Northern Exposure, which earned him two consecutive Primetime Emmy Award nominations. Join us for a conversation with the versatile actor at The Orpheum Theatre on October 8 at 4 pm after a screening of the short film Trail End, starring Mr. Corbin directed by former Wichitan Shannon Keenan.
- Conversation with Ad Astra recipient Barry Corbin Tickets
- October 8th – Three Birthdays (Gala Film) + Tallgate Party
- Wichita Orpheum Theatre
“Bobbie is determined to lose her virginity on the day of her 17 th birthday, but she will lose more than that. Serious, humorous, and intimate, THREE BIRTHDAYS follows a left-leaning, academic family in 1970 as each of its members wrestles with the contradictions of the sexual revolution in the era of the Vietnam War. When Bobbie discovers her mother’s infidelity and acts out furiously, she sets off a chain of confrontations that forces her father and mother to face their own insecurities as accomplished as middle-class intellectuals. On each of their birthdays, hopes are dashed, and secrets revealed. Culminating on the day of the shootings at Kent State, the film sits right in the middle of that uncomfortable place where the personal and the political collide.”
The Tallgate Party will happen starting at 9:00 pm at Chainlink Gallery after the film. You can buy tickets to just the film ($15+fees) or the film and the party ($45+fees)
- Three Birthdays (Gala Film) + Tallgate Party Tickets
Tickets Available for Tallgrass Film Festival 2023:
- VIP TALLpass is excellent for the complete Tallgrass Film Fest experience TALLpass holders get: $259
- Admission to all in-person films and virtual films
- VIP lounge
- Access to parties during the film festival
- Get your TALLpass HERE
- Weekend Pass: $150
- Access to all in-person films and virtual films
- You can attend the parties on Saturday, October 7, and Sunday, October 8th.
- Get our Weekend Pass HERE
- FilmPass: $100
- Access to all in-person and virtual films during the festival
- Get your FilmPass HERE
- Virtual Only: $50
- This allows access to the films that opt-in to virtual. Some films are also geo-blocked to Kansas; only so check before you buy.
- Get your Virtual Pass HERE
Wichita on the Cheap TIP: Want to skip the credit card fees? Drop off a check at the Tallgrass Film Center, 120 East 1st Street North, Unit 113 (Monday-Friday 9 am to 5 pm or slide under the door after hours with your information!).
Tallgrass Fillm Festival Locations 2023:
- Advanced Learning Library | 711 W. 2nd St. N. Free Screenings Presented by Evergy
- CAC Theatre at WSU | 1845 Fairmount St.
- Candela at The LUX | 120 E. 1st St. N.
- Crown Uptown Theatre | 3207 E. Douglas Ave.
- Exploration Place Kemper Science Theater | 300 N. McLean Blvd.
- Tallgrass Film Center | 120 E. 1st St. N.
- TempleLive (Scottish Rite) | 332 E. 1st St. N.
- The Orpheum Theatre | 200 N. Broadway
- Wichita Art Museum | 1400 Museum Blvd.
- WSU Tech – NICHE | 124 S. Broadway
Thanks for visiting our free website for the Wichita Community. We do it because we Love ICT!