The Kansas Grown Farmers Market is open as planned on Saturday mornings, with some important differences to its usual operation.
The market is considered an essential business according to its announcement on Facebook, so it will be open.
But organizers say they will be following state guidelines and have additional measures of protection in place.
“Farmers Markets are considered to be essential as an important resource for local, fresh, healthy food within our community.
As we open, we want to provide you a place through our open-air market that is safer to shop for your families weekly needs. We will be following the State Guidelines at a minimum and many additional measures of protection will be in place.
We respectfully request that the first hour of shopping be reserved for our elderly, immune compromised customers.”
Some of the safety measures that will be in place include no sampling, hand sanitizers available throughout the market, and hand-wash stations.
Vendors will be given plenty of space between booths to accommodate the recommended social distancing.
Here are some other things you need to know for safe shopping at the Kansas Grown Farmers Market on Saturday:
- Do not go to the market if you are sick.
- The first hour of shopping (7 a.m. to 8 a.m.) is reserved for elderly or immune-compromised customers.
- Arrive with a shopping list or an idea of what you’re looking for
- Let the vendors help. Don’t touch any items you have not purchased or plan to purchase.
- Allow at least six feet distance from others while shopping or waiting in line.
- The Extension Office is closed. Porta-potties will be set up around the market and hand-washing stations will be available.
- Market tokens will be available for purchase and Double Up Food Bucks will still be available.
(You also may want to limit the number of people in your family who attend the market, so that there are fewer people overall. Many grocery stores and other essential retailers have requested – or even required – solo shopping to minimize risks.)
Many market vendors are also taking pre-orders so that you can get in and out of the market quickly. Visit the Kansas Grown Farmers Market website here for a list of vendors.
Kansas Grown Derby Farmers Market opens the first weekend in May.
If you want to shop for locally grown/made items and prefer not to go to the market, Wave has an online farmers market where you can purchase online and either pick up or have items delivered.
The Old Town Farmers Market is also open now.
Weekly on Saturday @ 7:00 am-12:00 pm (April 11, 2020 - October 31, 2020)
Wichita, KS 67205