No kidding! ALL kids 17 and younger can play golf for free at any Wichita Public Golf Course this summer!
You might have seen our post about the Junior Golf Program, which is an introduction to golf for kids. That program is now completely full, with over 600 kids participating this summer.
But this is different and BRAND NEW. I saw this mentioned somewhere earlier this year, but wasn’t sure exactly when the free golfing would start.
Well, they began offering FREE golf for juniors on June 1! The goal is to make golf accessible for any kid who wants to play.
The free golf is thanks to a tournament fundraiser held in April this year by First Tee of Greater Wichita. First Tee is an organization that introduces kids not only to golf, but to the inherent values in the game. Their goal is to build character, instill life-enhancing values, and promote healthy choices to young people from all walks of life.
The tournament raised over $20,000 to pay the green fees for any kids who want to golf this summer. Next year they’ll hold another tournament to raise funds for free golf next summer.
I spoke with Shana Appelhanz, who is the assistant golf manager of Golf Wichita. She said there are some things you should know about free golf for juniors at Wichita Public Golf Courses.
- First and most important – this is completely gimmick-free and there are no strings attached.
- Juniors can golf free at any of the five Wichita Public Golf Courses.
- Book a tee time at GolfWichita or by way of the app. Show up before tee time, check in at the clubhouse, and go out and play 9 or 18 holes.
- No instruction is included. Clubs are not provided. (If you don’t have clubs you can rent them in the clubhouse. The price may vary depending on what club you go to, but my understanding is that the price may be somewhere between $10 and $25 to rent a set of junior golf clubs.)
- Junior golfers will be required to fill out a contact sheet every single time they golf.
- Kids 10 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
This is a perfect way for junior golfers to spend their summer!
There are five Wichita Public Golf Courses:
Auburn Hills (far west Wichita near 135th and Maple)
L.W. Clapp (southeast Wichita near Harry and Oliver)
MacDonald Park (northeast Wichita on E. 13th Street between Hillside and Oliver)
Tex Consolver (southwest Wichita on S. Tyler, close to Pawnee Prairie Park)
Arthur B. Sim (mid-town right next to Botanica)
Kind of related: Places to Play Mini Golf in Wichita