Fun, healthful, and cheap – those are the kind of deals we love to see. Participants in Walktober will receive free or reduced admission to many Wichita-area attractions with the Walktober Challenge card.
Sponsored by the Health and Wellness Coalition, Walktober is a month-long walking program in October designed to encourage walking on a daily basis and inspire people to make walking a part of their healthy lifestyles.
How to participate:
- Set a goal to walk five days each week during the month of October. Visiting participating attractions and museums free or at a reduced price can help you get your walking time in each week!
- Register for the Walktober Community Challenge at the Health & Wellness Coalition website.
- Download a challenge-tracking card at the Health and Wellness Coalition’s website or the Sedgwick County website. Present your card at the designated attraction on the date listed.
- Keep walking all month, use the designated trails and develop a routine for the entire year.
Bring your card to the final Walktober Social at 3:00 p.m. Sunday, October 28 at Old Cowtown Museum and take your final walk as a group at Cowtown.
To participate, visit www.hwcwichita.org or www.sedgwickcounty.org to download a challenge card, or call Debbie at 316-264-4066 ext. 221 or Sedgwick County Health Promotion at 316-660-7350. E-mail inquiries may be directed to [email protected]
Take your challenge card to these local Wichita attractions on the designated day to receive discounted or free admission:
- Old Cowtown Museum-1865 West Museum Boulevard, (316) 219-1871, Wednesday-Saturday 9:30 am-4:30 pm, Sunday Noon-4:30 pm
- Wichita Art Museum-1400 West Museum Boulevard, (316) 268-4921, Tuesday-Saturday 10 am to 5 pm, Sunday Noon to 5 pm
- Kansas Aviation Museum-3350 South George Washington Boulevard,(316) 683-9242, Monday – Saturday 10 am – 5 pm, Sunday 12 pm – 5 pm
- Kansas African-American Museum-601 North Water Street, (316) 262-7651, Monday -Friday 10 am – 5 pm , Saturday 12 pm – 4 pm
- Botanica Gardens-701 North Amidon, (316) 264-0448, 9am-5pm, Monday-Saturday
- Great Plains Nature Center-6232 E 29th Street North Wichita,(316) 683-5499, Monday – Saturday, 9 am to 5 pm.
- Exploration Place-300 North McLean Boulevard, (316) 660-0600, Monday – Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm, Sunday noon to 5 pm
- City Arts- 334 North Mead Street, (316) 462-2787 Monday-Thursdays, 10am – 9pm; Fridays, 10am to 5pm; Saturdays, 10am to 4pm
- Kansas Sports Hall of Fame at the Wichita Boathouse, 515 S. Wichita, (316)262-2038 Monday – Friday, 10 am – 4 pm
- Mid-America All Indian Center, (316) 350-3340 650 N Seneca St, Wichita, KS, Tuesday – Saturday, 10 am – 4 pm