USA Today reported last week that a sharp reduction in turkey supplies has resulted in wholesale prices that are at an all-time high this year. Fortunately, grocers aren’t passing that increase on to their customers. Many grocers will sell turkeys as a loss-leader item in the hopes that once you’re in the store you’ll make other purchases.
Here are some more tips on how to maximize your savings while shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.
Below is a sampling of turkey prices. Many chains offer different prices for different regions, and these prices were gathered mostly in the Chicago area. Prices may vary by location. All prices are for frozen turkeys unless indicated as fresh. Some offers require an additional purchase in order to pay the lowest price per pound. Walmart and Chicago-based Jewel are offering a price match. Here are Walmart’s rules. Here are Jewel’s.
- Aldi: Honeysuckle White 99 cents per pound.
- Costco: Butterball $2.49 per pound.
- Food4Less: Kroger brand 79 cents per pound, Butterball 89 cents per pound with additional $25 purchase. Limit 1.
- Fred Meyer: Kroger $1.59 per pound, Butterball $1.99 per pound, Norbest $1.59 per pound, Foster Farms fresh $1.99 per pound, Free Range fresh $2.49 per pound, Simple Truth fresh organic $2.49 per pound.
- Jewel: Jennie-O or Honeysuckle 47 cents per pound with $25 minimum purchase qualifier. Limit 1. Price Valid through 11/26/15. Jewel is offering a price match.
- Mariano’s: Butterball 98 cents per pound, Butterball $1.78 per pound fresh. Limit 1.
- Meijer: Meijer brand, Honeysuckle White and Butterball turkeys 55% off with an additional $20 purchase, 47 cents per pound for frozen and $1.34 per pound for fresh. Limit 1.
- Peapod: Peapod brand 99 cents per pound; $1.39 fresh, Butterball $1.19 per pound; $1.49 fresh, Coastal Range fresh $3.49 per pound. Natures Promise fresh $1.79 per pound. Google for a new customer promo code.
- Piggly Wiggly: Both with $25 purchase. Butterball 97 cents per pound, Jennie-O 57 cents per pound.
- Publix: Publix brand, 59 cents per pound. Limit 2.
- Ralph’s: Kroger or Jennie-O 57 cents per pound with an additional $25 purchase. Limit 1.
- Safeway: All require an additional $35 purchase. Buy one get one free Honeysuckle Turkey, $1.39 cents per pound. Buy one get one free Jennie O $1.79 per pound.
- Sam’s Club: 99 cents per pound. Size and brand vary by club.
- Target: Butterball 99 cents per pound.
- Trader Joe’s: Trader Joe’s All Natural, Brined, Fresh Young Turkeys $1.99 per pound, Glatt Kosher, All Natural, Fresh Young Turkeys $2.49 per pound.
- Walmart: Walmart brand 73 cents per pound, Jennie-O 93 cents per pound, Butterball $1.13 per pounds. Walmart is offering a price match.
- Whole Foods: All are fresh. Nature’s Ranchers $2.49 per pound, Valerie’s brined $2.49 per pound, Larry Schultz organic $3.99 per pound.
- WinCo: Jennie-O 58 cents per pound, Butterball 88 cents per pound. Make a $100 purchase and Jennie-O is free.
If you know the price at stores we haven’t listed, please help out your fellow readers and leave a comment.
Copyright Living on the Cheap. The post Where to get the lowest price on Thanksgiving turkey appeared first on Living On The Cheap.