Free Museum Day will be back in Wichita again this year, compliments of Smithsonian magazine. Although Smithsonian Magazine Day has happened in September for as long as I’ve known about it, last year they moved it to April. And then we all know what happened. (It was canceled, along with practically everything else.)
Well, according the the Museum Day website, Free Museum Day is planned for September again. There’s even a scheduled date: September 18, 2021. The deal is free admission to museums throughout the country.
You and one other person in your family can get FREE admission to participating museums in Wichita when you request your free tickets at the Smithsonian website.
This is one of my favorite events of the year and – fun fact – my first post ever here at Wichita on the Cheap was about Smithsonian Magazine’s Free Museum Day back in September 2009. (That’s more than a decade ago. Sheesh. #thingsthatmakeyoufeelold)
Smithsonian Magazine has continued this annual event, and every year I try to use my free tickets to visit a museum I haven’t been to before or haven’t visited for a long time. My first-ever visit to Cowtown was on Free Museum Day one year.
Kansas has quite a few participating museums each year, and some of them are not cheap if you’re buying tickets for a large family. Others are already pretty affordable, but with two free tickets for your family it’s even better!
Although admission is FREE, you DO need a ticket. There’s a limit of one ticket per household – each ticket is valid for up to two people.
Your biggest problem will be choosing which museum to visit, since so many of them in our area participate each year.
And if you’re going out of town – or even out of the state – that weekend, find a museum to visit for FREE during your trip.
Museum Day is a national promotion, so there are participating museums throughout the United States.
Participating Museums in Kansas
These are the Wichita-area museums that participated in recent years; more may be added as we get closer to the event. They’re all great. Please note: you must have tickets to get free admission on Museum Day.
- Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson
- Museum of World Treasures in Wichita
- Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum in Wichita
- Kauffman Museum in Newton
- The Wichita Art Museum (always free on Saturdays)
Other Kansas museums participate in Free Museum Day. Here are the ones that have participated in the past, although again – more may be added as we approach Free Museum Day.
- Eisenhower Presidential Library, Museum, and Boyhood Home
- Quayle Bible Collection (always free)
- National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame (always free)
- Red Rocks State Historic Site
- First Territorial Capitol State Historic Site
- Gardner Historical Museum
- Hollenberg Pony Express Station State Historic Site
- Fort Hays State Historic Site
- Grinter Place State Historic Site
- Lincoln County Museum
- Constitution Hall State Historic Site
- Historic Courthouse Museum of Marysville, Kansas
- Pony Express Barn & Museum
- McPherson Museum & Arts Foundation
- Museum at Prairiefire
- Mine Creek Civil War Battlefield State Historic Site
- Pawnee Indian Museum State Historic Site
- Kansas Museum of History
Tickets are usually available about a month before the event.