Free Museum Day will be back in Wichita again this year, compliments of Smithsonian magazine. Free Museum Day is planned for this September! We have this list of Museums in Wichita, Kansas listed below.
Whether you’re at home or traveling, you can enjoy FREE admission to hundreds of museums and cultural institutions across the U.S., as part the 18th annual Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day on Sept. 17th, 2022.
You and one other person in your family can get your FREE admission voucher to use at participating museums in Wichita or elsewhere when you request your free tickets at the Smithsonian website.
Smithsonian Magazine has continued this annual event, and every year I try to use my free tickets to visit a museum I haven’t been to before or haven’t visited for a long time.
Kansas has quite a few participating museums each year, and some of them are not cheap if you’re buying tickets for a large family. Others are already pretty affordable, but with two free tickets for your family it’s even better!
Although admission is FREE, you DO need a ticket. There’s a limit of one ticket per email address – each ticket is valid for up to two people.
Your biggest problem will be choosing which museum to visit since so many of them in our area participate each year.
And if you’re going out of town – or even out of the state – that weekend, find a museum to visit for FREE during your trip.
Museum Day is a national promotion, so there are participating museums throughout the United States.
To get started, visit the Museum Day site, and search for participating museums in your area. Participants are allowed to download one ticket per e-mail address. Each ticket provides complimentary general admission for two people. Tickets are available starting Aug. 18.
Limit one ticket per email. If you’re planning a group excursion, each pair will need to download their own admit-two pass.
Participating Museums near Wichita
These are the Wichita-area museums that have participated in recent years; more may be added as we get closer to the event. They’re all great. Please note: you must have tickets to get free admission on Museum Day.
- Kansas Cosmosphere in Hutchinson
- Museum of World Treasures in Wichita
- Wichita-Sedgwick County Historical Museum in Wichita
- The Wichita Art Museum (always free on Saturdays)
- Great Plains Nature Center, (Free Monday through Saturday)
- Ulrich Museum of Art at WSU
- The Orignal Pizza Hur Museum (Free Monday through Friday)
- Old Cowtown Museum
- Keeper of the Plains, (Always Free)
Kansas museums that may participate again this year
Other Kansas museums participate in Free Museum Day. Here are the ones that have participated in the past, although again – more may be added as we approach Free Museum Day or some may choose not to participate this year.
The only way to know is to go to the Free Museum Day website and see which tickets are available.
- Eisenhower Presidential Library, Museum, and Boyhood Home (It’s temporarily closed.)
- Quayle Bible Collection (always free)
- National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame (suggested donation of $5)
- Marianna Kistler Beach Museum of Art (confirmed for 2021, but also free every day)
- Museum at Prairiefire (confirmed for 2021)
Tickets are usually available about a month before the event.