The 18th annual Tree Festival will be held at the Sedgwick County Extension Center on Saturday, April 6, 2019 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
This will be a fun, FREE, and family-friendly event featuring information on choosing, planting, and maintaining trees that are well-suited for our area of Kansas.
The theme this year will focus on celebrating the value of trees.
Trees are an investment in our landscape, for both financial and aesthetic reasons, and choosing, planting, and maintaining the best trees for our local conditions is important.
Tree care professionals will be on hand at the 2019 Tree Festival to share their advice on these topics. Tree Fest features seminars, demonstrations, youth activities, and local vendors. You’ll be able to purchase unique and popular plants and trees, local craft products, and baked goods.
A pancake and sausage breakfast will also be available for purchase.
Master Gardeners will also be on hand to answer your tree and gardening questions.
Admission is FREE, and if you participate in any of the seminars and demonstrations throughout the day, you’ll have the chance to win a FREE TREE.
(The more presentations and demonstrations you attend, the more chances you have to win a free tree.)
Seminars will include appropriate topics for both homeowners and those who are responsible for commercial properties.
- Tree care professionals will present advice on how to choose, plant, and maintain the best trees for our region.
- Local plant vendors will have unique trees and plants for sale. This weekend also kicks off the outdoor farmers market season at the Extension!
The Tree Festival is sponsored by Sedgwick County Extension Master Gardeners and K-State Research & Extension – Sedgwick County
Tree Festival Schedule
Seminars inside the 4-H Hall:
- 9 a.m. Uncommon Ground – A Century of Trees & Stewardship at Bartlett Arboretum — Robin Macy, Steward of the Bartlett Arboretum
- 10 a.m. Awesome Plants To Make Your Awesome Landscape More Awesome — Dr. Jason Griffin, John C. Pair Horticultural Center
- 11 a.m. The Value of Trees In Wichita & How To Promote Healthy Trees — Gary Farris, City of Wichita Arborist
- 12 p.m. Tips For Growing Trees & Avoiding Problems —
Matthew McKernan, Horticulture Agent, KSRE
Demonstrations (meet in Sunflower Room):
- 8:30 a.m. Composting Leaves and Other Plant Material
- 9:30 a.m. Rose Pruning
- 10:30 a.m. Tree Pruning and The Tools You’ll Need
- 11:30 a.m. Tree Planting, Mulching and Watering demonstration
- 12:30 p.m. Fertilizing Trees
The Sedgwick County Extension Education Center is at 7001 W. 21st St. N. (at Ridge Rd.), Wichita, Ks.