Okay, hold on to your hats because this is incredibly awesome.
Several City of Wichita departments have collaborated to offer access to a summer of free Youth Enrichment Services (YES!).
The goal is to help Wichita youth live well by participating in recreational activities, increasing educational growth, enjoying balanced nutrition, and free bus transportation that will allow Wichita youth the freedom to explore all the services in the community.
Here’s how it works:
Young people ages 7-17 and a parent or guardian can visit the Wichita Transit Center at 214 S. Topeka to register for a summer ID card that grants access to the YES! services at no cost. The ID cards will be available from June 1 to August 31, 2017.
Say YES! services:
- Unlimited Wichita Transit rides. Route and schedule info can be found at WichitaTransit.org
- Free entry to Wichita Public Pools. City pool locations and open hours are listed in the pdf download below.
- Free golf and/or foot golf at L.W. Clapp golf course at 4611 E. Harry Street. The golf course is open from sunrise to sunset. Golf clubs, push carts, and soccer balls may be loaned out subject to availability. (No soccer cleats on the golf course, please.)
- Free “restart borrowing” program at the Wichita Library for anyone who has outstanding fees. The fees will be removed and YES! participants can check out two books at a time. At the end of the summer, if no new fees are incurred, the loan limit will be lifted allowing full borrowing privileges.
- Back-to-school supply packs for youth who complete the Library’s “Check-in Challenge.” If Say YES! participants show their card at a library five different weeks during the summer will receive a free supply pack. Youth will receive a separate check-in challenge card to document their visits.
- Free weekday lunches at three participating locations in Wichita (Also see this post and this post for another free summer meal program in Wichita.) Evergreen Park, Atwater Neighborhood Resource Center, and Colvin Elementary school will have free weekday lunches for youth under 18. The free lunch service ends August 4. Addresses and more information about the free lunches is in the pdf download below.
Click here for a pdf download about Say YES! that contains more details, along with contact information if you still have questions about the Say YES! program. Contact Wichita Park & Recreation at 316-268-4628.
Please do share this with anyone you think would benefit from the Say YES! card this summer. What an awesome thing to do for kids in our community!