April Fool’s Day can be a fun, lighthearted day with friends and family. That is, as long as nobody gets hurt–emotionally or physically. The standard for benevolent April Fool’s Day tricks is that the “victim” gets a laugh out of it too.
Last April 1st, Ashlei Matthews, a Wichita mom and blogger at Coupon Deals and Steals, served her unsuspecting family a “cake” for supper. It was actually made of meatloaf and “frosted” with mashed potatoes she had mixed with food coloring to look like icing. The kids were probably disappointed to find out that it wasn’t really dessert, but I’ll bet the meatloaf was delicious!
So what are your favorite harmless April Fool’s Day pranks? Has anyone ever pulled a really good prank on you?
Below are a few great classics. None of them are new, but they’re cheap, harmless, and a lot of fun.
- Glue a dime or a quarter to the sidewalk outside your office window and watch as people try to pick it up.
- Use a white mailing label or a sticky note to cover the laser on a coworker’s mouse. Write “April Fools!” on the label for extra fun.
- Put baby carrots in the kids’ Goldfish crackers bag
- Add a few drops of food coloring to the milk. It won’t hurt the milk, but it sure will be a surprise when someone pours it on their cereal.
- Startle someone with a fake coffee or cereal spill. (Video below.)