School has started in Wichita, but there are more School Supply Sales this week! Pick up anything you forgot or stock up for the year ahead.
This list of the best school supply sales only includes what I see as the really good deals.
I recently updated my Tips for Saving on School Supplies. The tips are an accumulation of things I’ve learned by experience and from other smart people. But here are two really basic tips:
TIP 1: The key to saving the most money on school supplies is to just buy what’s on sale each week. Then, when school is about to start, you can go finish off your list at the big blue discount store.
TIP 2: Plan ahead for stocking stuffers. Markers, crayons, paper, etc. are terrific little gifts for little people! Buy extras now while they are on sale and keep them hidden away for the holidays.
Note about brand-name supplies: Many teachers these days specifically request Crayola crayons, Expo markers and sometimes Ticonderoga pencils because the generic versions don’t work as well. But other supplies- like loose leaf paper, plastic school boxes, disinfecting wipes, etc. – are probably just as good in most cases.
Top school supply deals this week
This is the short list. It’s either what I am buying this week or would buy if I still had young kids:
- EXPO dry-erase markers ($1.99), paper folders (10 cents) and 1″ binders ($1) at Office Depot
- Ticonderoga pencils (10-pk for 99 cents) and Elmer’s glue sticks (3-pk for 49 cents) at Walgreens
- Papermate Flair pens (18-pk for $8.49) at Target
- Sharpie fine-point permanent markers (5-pack for $1) and
- Ticonderoga unsharpened pencils (12-pk for $1) at Office Depot
- Elmer’s glue (4 oz. liquid or 3-pk glue stick for 49 cents) at Walgreens
Dillon’s School Supply Deals
Dillon’s is a local brand of Kroger grocery store.
If you shop at a Dillons Marketplace that has clothing, keep an eye out for their coupons in the weekly ad and their CLEARANCE racks! We’ve found some good deals on shoes, tops, etc. for teens and adults.
Plus, this time of year grocery stores have sales on lunch meat and other school-lunch items. Stock up and freeze lunch meat, cheese sticks, and more to have inexpensive lunches for the next few months!
Also, shopping for school supplies at Dillons comes with the extra perk of getting fuel points. Remember to check your app for digital coupons before you shop.
- Earn 1 extra fuel point for every dollar you spend Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays starting July 25th through September 1st with digital or paper (in-ad) coupon.
- Save an extra 20% on backpacks with digital coupon
- Save $10 on shoes when you spend at least $35 with digital coupon
Dillons ad to 8/20, 2019:
All of these sale prices are with Dillons card only.
- Backpack, colorblock or twin zipper $10
- Casual shoes, 50% off
The following seem to be season-long prices:
- Crayola broad line or fine line classic color markers, 10-ct. $1
- Crayola washable markers, broad or fine line, 10-ct. $2.49
- Crayola colored pencils, 12-pk $1
- Crayola crayons, 24-pk .49
- Crayola washable watercolors, 8-pan $1.49
- Bic Cristal Xtra Bold or Xtra Smooth pens, $1 (see digital coupon, above)
- Paper Mate Write Bros. mechanical pencils, 10-ct. $1
- Post-it Super Sticky Note $1
- Expo dry erase markers $3.79
- Sharpie Smear Guard highlighters, 2-pk $1
- Scotch kids scissors $1
- 1-subject spiral notebooks .25
- filler paper, 150 sheets .99
- Paper Mate Write Bros. ballpoint pens, $1
- Bic Briteliner highlighters, 5-pk $1.49
- Ticonderoga pencils, 18-pk sharpened or 24-pk unsharpened $3.49
- OfficeWorks pencils, 10-pk 49 cents
Dillons’ has been very competitive on school supplies in recent years. It’s now the first place I check!
Office Depot School Supply Deals
Office Depot/Office Max will match competitor’s prices in-store and online as long as the brand, size, quantity, etc. are all equal.
Office Depot ad beginning August 11, 2019
- 1″ binder with clear cover $1
- 1″ fashion binders $1.99 (if white or black aren’t your style 😉 )
- Scholastic school glue 50 cents
- BIC Round Stic Grip ballpoint pens 99 cents
- Scholastic glue sticks, 4-pk $1
- 2-pocket paper folders 10 cents
- EXPO dry-erase markers, 4-pk $1.99 (this is a great price; don’t miss this one if you need EXPO markers)
Office Depot school supply deals beginning 8/18:
- Sharpie permanent markers, 5-pk $1 (limit 3)
- Ticonderoga pencils, 12-pk $1 (limit 3)
- Uniball 207 retractable gel pens, 4-pk $1.99
- Sharpie fine or ultra-fine permanent markers, multi colors, 12-pk $7.99
- Papermate Flair pens, multi colors, 12-pk $9.99
- Master Lock combination padlock $5
Sam’s Club Back to School Deals
If you have a Sam’s Club membership, you can get a few good school supply deals there this week. But you want to pay attention to unit price; not every bulk buy is a better bargain.
- Ticonderoga pencils, 96-ct $9.96 (this is a great price for these pencils)
- BIC Round Stic Xtra Life medium point ball point pens, 96 ct $7.48
- Member’s Mark multipurpose copy paper, 10-ream case (500 sheets per ream) $29.98 if you pick up in store
- Ziploc sandwich bags, 580-ct $11.58
- Ziploc gallon freezer, 152-ct $14.98
- other Ziploc bags at Sam’s are also a good deal; compare unit prices
Walgreens School Supply Deals
It won’t surprise regular readers here that Walgreens is one of the best places to get school supplies at a discount. Each week they have something on sale for a crazy low price, and occasionally you may be able to match a coupon with the sale to get a super deal. For most/all of these deals, you will need to get a Walgreens card; it’s free, and you’ll earn points on purchases so it’s worth using it.
Like Dillons, Walgreens has coupons you can load to your card.
Walgreens ad starting 8/11:
These are Wexford brand unless otherwise noted.
- Ticonderoga pencils, 10-ct 99 cents
- Elmer’s glue sticks, 3-pk 49 cents
- Elmer’s school glue, 4 oz. 49 cents
- Storex pencil box 99 cents
- EXPO dry-erase markers, 2-pk $1.49
- sheet protectors, 50-pk 99 cents
Walgreens school supply deals beginning 8/18
- wooden ruler, erasers, highlighters, pencil sharpener 6 for $1 (folders are also included in this deal, but if they’re only paper folders that’s not an awesome price)
- 2-pocket portfolio, 8-ct for 49 cents
- 5-tab index dividers w/pocket 99 cents (the pocket makes a difference; if you don’t need the pocket, they can be found cheaper at Target)
- Zebra doodlers pens, 10-pack $4.99
- Storex pencil box 99 cents
- BOGO backpacks, various prices
Target School Supply Deals
Target price-matches some deals, so bring your ad or your phone to them if one of the stores sells out of an item you wanted.
50 cents all season:
- Crayola crayons, 24-pk
- Elmer’s glue, 4 oz.
- up & up 2-pocket poly folder with prongs, asstd. colors
- pink erasers, 2-pk
99 cents all season:
- Crayola colored pencils, 24-pk
- Crayola markers, 10-pk
- Sterilite pencil box
- filler paper
Elmer’s glue sticks, 6-ct $2.49 (all season)
Coupons for School Supplies
Print coupons or load them onto your shoppers card for each store to match up with a sale.
Walmart Back to School Sales
The current Walmart school supply prices are going on throughout summer, although they may do special deals or rollbacks from time to time.
- 2-pocket paper portfolio 15 cents
- Crayola markers, 10-ct 97 cents
- Crayola colored pencils, 12-pk 97 cents
- Crayola crayons, 50 cents
- Elmer’s glue, 4 oz. 50 cents
- Elmer’s glue sticks, 2-pk 50 cents
- filler paper, 150 sheets 82 cents
- binder, 1″ 97 cents
- composition book, 100 sheets 50 cents
- kids scissors, 2-pk $1
Lunch tip: Walmart has 16″ Supreme Super Subs in the deli for about $6. They’re big! If you need to save time, buy one and cut it into sections to send as school lunches. That could be lunch for a week, depending on how big your family is.
Shopping School Supplies Online
You can find good prices on school supplies online, although sometimes it means buying bigger boxes (fine if you have multiple kids in school). And/or you can use the free ship-to-store option for many brick-and-mortar stores, then pick them up at your convenience.
Here are some of the online deals I’ve found on school supplies that are worth getting. These links are affiliate links, meaning I may receive a small commission if you make a purchase through them. There’s no extra cost to you, though.
Online prices can change at any time.
- Expo dry-erase markers, 6-piece starter kit at Amazon
- Scotch brand scissors (various types/sizes) at Amazon
- Sharpie markers and highlighters, 12-pk at Amazon
- Puffs tissues, 3 boxes of 180 tissues each at Office Depot
- Member’s Mark copy paper, 10-ream case at Sam’s Club (pick up in store)
Amazon Back to School Deals
An obvious benefit of shopping for school supplies at Amazon is free 2-day shipping right to your door (if you have Prime). But you can also find some deals at Amazon. (The deals change frequently, so keep checking back.)
Amazon prices are subject to change at any time.
- Dixon Ticonderoga #2 pencils, 96-ct
- Expo dry-erase markers, 6-piece starter set with eraser and cleaning liquid
- Expo fine tip dry erase markers, multi, 8-pack
- Sharpie highlighters, 12-ct
- Kids character backpacks (Disney, Star Wars, Hello Kitty, etc.)
- Scotch Magic Tape, 6 rolls
- 20-ct BPA-free plastic meal containers
Also see Back to School Consignment Sales to help you save even more money this school year.
I also have an older school supply price list you can use. It has changed over the years now that we aren’t seeing as many penny deals, but you may be able to get an idea of what is really a sale and what’s being advertised as a “sale.”
Feel free to use it while you shop. (This is not adorned with cute fonts and clipart! I love those too, but this one is just an all-business price comparison list for school supplies.)
TIP: Plan ahead for stocking stuffers. Markers, crayons, paper, etc. are terrific little gifts for little people! Buy extras now while they are on sale and keep them hidden away for the holidays.
Weekly on Sunday (August 4, 2019 - August 25, 2019)