White Castle is back, temporarily, to where it started. On May 19th, White Castle will be in town selling its signature teeny-tiny burgers in the parking lot of Dillons at Central and Rock. This visit will be the kick-off celebration for the fast-food chain’s 90th anniversary year. It also coincides with Dillons’ 90th anniversary year.
The burgers (aka “sliders”) will be sold at 2 for 90 cents, beginning at 4 p.m.
If you miss this event, you’ll have to go out of state to get a White Castle burger (because there aren’t any locations in Wichita) or buy a box of them in the frozen foods section at Dillons.
You might see cameras and a movie crew getting footage for the documentary White Castle – What America Craves during your visit. White Castle, which opened its first store in Wichita, Kansas, in 1921, is credited with being the first-ever fast food hamburger chain.
Here’s more information about the event, provided by Dillons:
- White Castle and Dillons are hosting a 90th Birthday Bash to celebrate with friends and neighbors in Wichita
- For a limited time… White Castle’s Original Slider® hamburgers are being made fresh on-site – while supplies last!! Priced at just 2/90¢
- Make it a meal… chips and a drink for an additional 90¢
- Members of Wichita’s Police and Fire Departments will prepare the first batch of sliders with a cook-off competition… come cheer them on!!
- Proceeds from the event will benefit Wichita Police and Fire Department’s outreach and education programs
- 1st place winners earn 60% of the dollars collected from the event… 2nd place gets 40%
- White Castle and Dillons will BOTH make $9,000 donations to the Kansas Food Bank in celebration of their 90th anniversaries.
- This is the first of three $9,000 donations Dillons will make to the Kansas Food Bank this year with additional family-focused celebrations to come!
- Special prices on frozen White Castle’s Original Slider® hamburgers at Dillons… plus an extra donation to Wichita Police and Fire Departments through the end of the week:
- $1.00 donation with the purchase of the frozen 16-pack
- 50¢ donation with the purchase of the frozen 6-pack
- Fun for the whole family… giveaways and that one-of-a-kind White Castle taste!!
Date: Thursday, May 19
Time: 4 p.m.
Location: Dillons at Central and Rock Road in Wichita
Cost: Sliders – 2 for $ .90, Chips and a drink – $ .90