Have some fun on the water at El Dorado Lake! The Walnut Valley Sailing Club is offering affordable Learn to Sail classes at El Dorado Lake for both youth and adults. Can you imagine? Once you’ve learned how, sailing would a great way to spend your summer!
You won’t need to have your own sailboat for these lessons. Boats will be provided and include Catalina 14.2s, Catalina 22s, Lasers, and a Sonar.
Adult sailing classes begin in May! The topics covered include sailing instruction on the water, boat maintenance, what to look for when purchasing a boat, boat safety, and wind/weather conditions.
The adult sailing lessons have two sessions in May:
- Classes are held Thursday and Friday from 6 p.m. to sunset, and Saturday and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- Session One: May 18-21
- Session Two: May 24-27
Upon completion of the course, you’ll get a provisional membership to the club – and if certified this allows you to take out boats from the club!
And provisional members can also enjoy the frequent races and very probably go out as a crew member for another member!
For the kids, they’ll have three youth sailing camps, beginning in June:
- Beginning and Intermediate classes will be held from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and the Advanced sailing class will be from 4 p.m. to sunset.
- Beginning Sailing Lessons for kids ages 8-12: June 4, 5, 7, 8
- Beginning and Intermediate for teens ages 12-17: June 11-22 (Mon, Tues, Thurs, Friday)
- Advanced Sailing Class: July 9, 10, 12, 13 (requires instructor approval)
All of the classes are taught by U.S. Sailing certified instructors, and the WVSC STEP sailing program is a 501c3 non-profit, so they keep their sailing lessons and youth sailing summer camps as low-cost as possible.
Visit WVSailing.com and click on the Learn to Sail tab for registration forms. Youth camps are only $100 or $125 per sailor, depending on the session, and adult lessons are $250 per sailor/per session. Both camps have a non-refundable $25 fee if you need to cancel.
First published April 16, 2018; updated April 23, 2018.