It is almost the New Year and we have a list of New Years’ fun facts and cheap and easy traditions. It marks the start of a new year. It’s often time for people to come together with friends and family to celebrate.
New Years Fun Facts:
- Eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is a tradition that is supposed to bring you good luck. It’s most common in the South.
- In the US the most popular New Years’ tradition is to watch the ball drop in Times Square. The first ball drop took place in 1907 and has been going on ever since
- In many cultures, it’s believed that the way you spend New Year is the tone for the rest of the year.
- In Spain, it is tradition to eat 12 grapes at midnight one for each stroke of the clock for good luck.
- In some parts of the world, it’s tradition to make noise on New Year’s Eve to drive away evil spirits and bring good luck.
- The tradition of celebrating the New Year dates back to ancient civilizations. the ancient Egyptians for example, celebrated the return of the Nile’s floodwaters, while the ancient Romans marked the start of the New Year on January 1st.
New Years Cheap and Easy Traditions:
- Go to Illuminations at Botanica. It’s general admission to attend. Click here for more info
- Go Ice Skating at Chicken N Pickle. Click here for more info
- Volunteer at a food bank or soup kitchen
- Bake goodies and deliver them to police officers and firefighters
- Visit Family Art Venture: New Year Cheer at Wichita Art Museum. Click here for more info
- This event is FREE to attend
- Have a movie marathon at home and pop some popcorn!
- Family campout! Pull mattresses into the living room and try to stay up to watch the ball drop
- Here is a list of Cheap and Easy games to play at home. Click here
- Make a time capsule in a shoe box
- Create a family bucket list
- Have a new activity each hour:
- 5:00 – Reflection questions and get into jammies
- 6:00 – Art project
- 7:00 – Dinner and goals
- 8:00 – Games
- 9:00 – Dance party
- 10:00- Midnight – Movie
- Midnight– Celebrate and get to bed!
News Years is also a time to reflect. Here are some questons to ask your friends or family:
- What is your favorite thing about Wichita?
- What was something new you tried this year?
- A new skill you want to learn next year?
- What was your favorite family activity?
- Most embarrassing moment of the year?
- What’s the best memory you have from this year?
- What was your favorite movie?
- Pick 3 words to describe this year?
- What was your favorite song?
- Your favorite photo from your phone from the year?
- What’s your favorite park or attraction in Wichita?
- Something you want to do for someone next year?
- What holiday was the best?
- What goal(s) did you accomplish?
- If you could go back and relive any day this year, which would you choose?
- What was your favorite tv show you watched?
New Year can be so much fun if you just add a few extra little touches to make it special. We hope this helped!
Happy New Year Wichita on the Cheap Friends!!