More changes are underway at Facebook that may or may not influence how often you see your “Liked” pages in your Facebook stream.
Facebook decides which pages you see in your news stream based on a complicated algorithm called EdgeRank. The best way to ensure you’ll see posts you want to see – from Wichita on the Cheap or any other Facebook page – is to click Like, Share, or to leave a comment on the posts that interest you. But even then you might find yourself missing some posts. This week I noticed that I wasn’t seeing very many posts from one of my favorite coupon blogs, even though I regularly click Like on her posts or leave a comment. I guess I hadn’t done it recently enough for Facebook to decide to show me those posts. (Weirdly, I see posts from pages I almost never interact with. Go figure.)
Anyway, there is a solution to missed posts on Facebook. It’s called the Interest List. You’ll find it on the left hand side of your Facebook home page. All you need to do is click “Add Interests,” and then subscribe to a list or make your own.
I’ve made a list you can subscribe to that has several of my favorite local and national money-saving resources. I wasn’t very imaginative when I named the list: It’s called the Wichita on the Cheap List. <– You can subscribe by following that link and clicking the “Subscribe” button on Facebook.
Or you can make your own list. Here are step-by-step instructions:
1. Log in to Facebook and go to your home page. On the left side of the screen you’ll see the word “INTERESTS” in all caps.
2. Click “Add Interests.”
3. Click “Create List.”
4. Begin adding pages to your list. You can find them by typing the page name in the search box. Repeat this step until you have several pages added to your list.
5. Give your list a unique name and decide whether you want it to be Public, Friends Only, or Private.
6. Later, if you see a page you would like to add to your list, go to that page and find the options dropdown box. It will look like this:
Click to add that page to one of your Interest Lists.
7. Whenever you want to see all of the posts from your favorite pages, go to your home page and click on that Interest List. (It will be on the left side of the screen, under “INTERESTS.”)
This method works on Facebook as of 5/26/2012. Since Facebook changes things pretty regularly, I have no idea how long Interest Lists will be available to use.
If you want to skip all of these steps and simply receive an email every day with Wichita on the Cheap’s latest posts, sign up for a free email subscription. Subscribe to Wichita on the Cheap by Email Every day that there are new posts, you’ll receive an email with the titles and short summaries. That way, you never have to miss a deal.