The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is offering a FREE class for parents or caregivers of children who show signs of struggling with mental health symptoms. The free class begins on June 2 and will be held at West Heights United Methodist Church in west Wichita. You will need to register in advance. Below you can find more information about the program, which was provided by the local class facilitator, along with a link to sign up:
NAMI Basics is a free, 6-session education program for parents, guardians and other family who provide care for youth (age 22 or younger) who are experiencing mental health symptoms.
You’ll learn the facts about mental health conditions and how best to support your child at home, at school and when they’re getting medical care. Last year, 99% of participants told us they would recommend the program to other parents.
At NAMI Basics, you’ll find out that you’re not alone. Recovery is a journey, and there is hope. The group setting of NAMI Basics provides mutual support and shared positive impact—experience compassion and reinforcement from people who understand your situation.
NAMI Basics covers:
- Solving problems and communicating effectively
- Accepting that mental health conditions are no one’s fault
- Developing the confidence and stamina to support your child with compassion
- Advocating for your child’s rights at school and in health care settings (including a record-keeping system)
- Learning about different types of mental health care professionals, available treatment options and therapies
- Preparing for and responding to crisis
- Understanding the challenges and impact of mental health conditions on your entire family
- How to take care of yourself and handle stress
DATES: Sundays from 3:00 to 5:30 pm, June 2 thru July 14, 2019 (excluding Father’s Day, June 16)
When: June 2, 2019
Time: 3:00 am – 5:30 pm
Where: West Heights United Methodist Church, 745 N. Westlink Ave, Wichita, KS
For more information and to register for the class: http://bit.ly/basics-summer2019