The Wichita YMCA will once again offer a series of adult cooking classes for parents and caregivers.
These hands-on classes, called Cooking Matters, are focused on helping pregnant women, parents, or caregivers of kids learn how to make healthy, nutritious meals on a budget. It’s especially helpful for parents or caregivers from lower-income households because you’ll learn how to stretch that grocery budget!
FREE childcare opportunities are available.
The six-week series of classes are free, and are being held at various YMCA locations in the Wichita area. There are still upcoming classes open to new registrations.
You do not have to be a YMCA member to take the free cooking classes. (However, you do have register. See below for registration information.)
Weekly topics include:
- Free take-home groceries to try new recipes on your family
- Meal planning and budgeting
- A grocery store tour for affordable, healthy foods
- Hands-on cooking and tasting of nutritious dinner ideas
This program is especially helpful for parents or caregivers from low income households. For more information and to register, call Tammi Krier, Healthy Eating Director for the YMCA, at (316) 776-8176 or email email@example.com
The cooking classes are taught in partnership with K-State Research and Extension and the program is locally supported by Delta Dental of Kansas, Dillons, and American AgCredit.
The schedule is below. Before registering, you should ensure that you’ll be able to attend at least five of the six classes.
- Begins April 17, 2019: Wednesday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Downtown YMCA
- Begins May 16, 2019: Thursday evenings from 6:15-8:15 p.m. at the Downtown YMCA (skips June 6 class)
- Begins June 12, 2019: Wednesday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Downtown YMCA
- Begins June 17, 2019: Monday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Downtown YMCA
- Begins July 24, 2019: Wednesday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Downtown YMCA
Free childcare opportunities are available. You do NOT need to be a member of the YMCA to take these budget-friendly cooking classes.