The YMCA and the Sedgwick County Extension have teamed up to offer a series of adult cooking classes. These hands-on classes, called Cooking Matters, are focused on helping parents learn to make healthy, nutritious meals on a budget.
The six-week series of classes are free, and are being held at various locations in Wichita. Although some have already started, there are still upcoming classes open to new registrations. (You do have register. See below for registration information.)
Weekly topics include:
- Free take-home groceries to try new recipes on your family
- Meal planning and budgeting
- Incorporating more fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- A grocery store tour for affordable, healthy foods
- Hands-on cooking and tasting of nutritious dinner ideas
This program is especially helpful for parents or caregivers from low income households. For more information and to register, call Tammi Krier, Healthy Eating Director for the YMCA, at (316) 264-4066, ext. 5540 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
New classes are scheduled to start in May and June. Before registering, you should ensure that you’ll be able to attend at least five of the six classes. The schedule is below (but subject to change).
- Begins May 24: Wednesday evenings from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the Colvin Rec Center
- Begins May 31: Wednesday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Edgemoor Rec Center
- Begins June 8: Thursday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the Downtown Y
- Begins July 5: Wednesday evenings from 6-8 p.m. at the South Y
Again, the number to call to register for these classes is (316) 264-4066, ext. 5540 or you can email Tammi Krier at email@example.com