A new restaurant will open at the Wichita Art Museum on March 9th, 2023. It’s called 1400 By Elderslie. With the new restaurant, opening brings some new hours. Wichita Art Museum will be open Friday evening until 9pm. You can enjoy meals, drinks, pop-up performances, and activities, classes for youth, and, when the weather cooperates, drinks out on the Sculpture deck. How fun is that!
What is Elderslie? It’s a local farm that now has a restaurant at the Wichita Art Museum.
It’s a farm located in Kechi, Kansas. Elderslie Farm began in 2010 when George Elder returned home and planted blackberries near his childhood home, just north of Wichita. Today, with his wife Katharine, the farm has grown to include an upscale, Instagram-worthy, farm-to-table restaurant, a favorite of summertime-adventure for blackberry lovers, and home to the cutest goats imaginable with excellent locally made cheeses.
Who is the chef at 1400 Elderslie?
Katharine Elder. Here and her husband own Elderslie Farm in Kechi. She is the Culinary Creative Director and Owner of Elderslie Farm.
“We are thrilled to bring Chef Katharine Elder and the talented team at Elderslie Farm here to WAM,” said Anne Kraybill, the museum’s Director/CEO. “We share Katharine’s philosophy of intentionally curated menus inspired by the local fresh ingredients and believe that this will be a unique opportunity to also create a menu inspired by art. We’re excited to be collaborating with such a talented chef.”
About the Resturant 1400 Elderslie:
- It’s FREE to visit the museum’s permanent collection and visit the restaurant.
- The restaurant in the museum has around 60 seats, and it’s on the east side of the building, which features floor-to-ceiling windows with a view overlooking the Art Garden and the Arkansas River.
- As Katharine and her team develop the menu for 1400, she is “delighted to share some long-time Elderslie favorites, elegant but not-too-fussy lunch built upon the work of our local growers (and goats!) as well as some new bold flavors to share for brunch!” 1400’s menu will remain dedicated to seasonality and locality as Elder gives an artistic flair to each dish and beverage.
- 1400 by Elderslie will have pastries, coffee, and such, with lunch service beginning at 11 am Wednesday through Friday and brunch starting at 10 am on Saturday and Sunday. The bar menu will have non-alcoholic and boozy craft cocktails, beer, and a carefully selected wine list to accompany our dishes.
- Elder has stated that as spring seems to come sooner every year at Elderslie Farm, she is ecstatic that their farm will be back in full swing in time to share their farmstead cheeses on charcuterie boards in the afternoons as well as on Fridays when 1400 remains open into the evening!
About Wichita Art Museum: The Wichita Art Museum opened in 1935 and is home to the Roland P. Murdock Collection, one of the premier collections of American art. With a nationally distinguished collection, an Edward Larrabee Barnes-designed facility, and a growing audience, the museum is a public/private partnership owned by the City of Wichita and managed by Wichita Art Museum, Inc. The mission of the Wichita Art Museum is to bring people, ideas, and American art together to enrich lives and build community.
Chief: Katharine Elder