There’s a chill in the air and I can’t help but get excited for this time of year. Fall festivals, apple cider, pumpkin pies, parties with friends and family. Then before you know it, it’s time for Christmas and gift exchanges.
Buying presents for children and young adults can be difficult, but when you have a great local shop like Blue Baboon Books: Wichita’s Little Shop of Stories, gift-giving gets a whole lot easier.
The deals continue on Small Business Saturday, but again – get there early for the biggest discounts!
Blue Baboon Books is a fun and creative space created by local owner Sara Ornelas. The whimsical atmosphere is perfect for browsing their large selection of children’s and young adult books, specialty gifts and more. They are located at 9428 W. Central, next to Kookaburra Coffee.
One of the great things about shopping at Blue Baboon Books is that Sara and Amy are really good at helping you find books that the child(ren) in your life don’t already have.
Each book at Blue Baboon is hand selected by Sara and is a book that they have read personally or have a child who has read it. These are not the same books that you will find at the big box stores.
Sara offers a variety of gift giving ideas:
- Book Box Subscription: For the gift that keeps on giving, consider purchasing an age appropriate book box subscription. They come in 4 categories: Board Books, Storybooks, Graphic Novels, and Middle Age & Young Adult Novels. Each month your child will receive two carefully selected and age-appropriate books to add to a home library. The books will be delivered right to your doorstep. You can choose to participate for as few or as many months as you like. **Editor’s note: One of the best gifts I ever received from my grandma was a subscription. Every single time I received that snail mail just for me I thought of her!
- Specialty toys: Blue Baboon Books has a variety of fun, educational toys that will entertain your child for hours. They carry a variety of Melissa & Doug toys, stuffed animals that coordinate with specific books and Play Foam. My favorite part about Play Foam is that it’s fun for kids and adults alike – and, best of all – it doesn’t stick to hair or carpet!
- Gift Bundles: For the holidays, Blue Baboon has put together special gift bundles to make your gift shopping quick and easy! These are groups of books that have been grouped together to make great gifts. There will also be a Pinkalicious bundle, a potty training bundle and one for boys too.
- Blue Baboon Apparel: For the Blue Baboon fan in your life, order a t-shirt, hoodie or other merchandise online or pick one up in store and pair it with a book or Blue Baboon gift certificate for the perfect gift basket.
- Bulk Books: If you are shopping for several kids or young adults, or if you just want to surprise one special child with a WHOLE LIBRARY at once, talk to Sara about buying books in bulk. If you purchase 25 or more books at one time, you can save 20% off your purchase.
- Gift Certificates: If you are still having trouble picking a book or want to add to your book gift, Blue Baboon Books has gift certificates available for purchase.
Blue Baboon also offers:
- Birthday Club: Blue Baboon Books wants to help celebrate your child’s big day. Sign up for the Birthday Club, and you will get a birthday postcard in the mail, a coupon for $5 to use at Blue Baboon, and a bookmark! All kids under the age of 18 can participate.
- Birthday Parties: From the tiniest babies to the more mature crowd, Blue Baboon Books loves to celebrate birthdays! A birthday party at Blue Baboon Books includes crafts, games, plates, eating utensils, cups, napkins, decor, and a party host or hostess. Visit the website for more details.
- Story Times: Blue Baboon Books hosts story times for their little readers every Wednesday and Friday at 10:30 a.m., and once a month at 6:30 p.m. for Pajama Jam in the Storytime Forest. The Storytime Forest is a whimsical area of the store “that was designed with the hope of creating a special corner of the world for kids to be inspired, ignite their imaginations, and be a child of books.”
- Craft Activities: Each month, Blue Baboon hosts a variety of craft-making sessions for kids. These are a few bucks each for supplies and you can bring the kids when you want. In November, they’ll be doing Cookies & Crafting each Thursday — for mommy & me, daddy & me, grandparent & me, and BFF and me.
Upcoming Events at Blue Baboon:
November 10: Holiday Wish List Open House with Santa!– From 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. children will have the opportunity to visit with Santa as well as create a holiday wish list filled with books, gifts, and toys from Blue Baboon Books! They will keep the list at the store. Then friends, family, and (of course) Santa can shop from the list when they’re looking for gifts to put under the tree. There will also be face painting, a holiday craft for kids to make and cookies and cider. Santa will do a special story time at noon and 2 p.m.
November 17: Community Book Fair– Get your Christmas shopping done, and help out the families and children that are served by the Wichita Children’s Home! All day on Saturday, November 17th, Blue Baboon will be hosting a community book fair for Wichita Children’s Home, and everything you purchase will go toward rewards for the home.
February 1: Nick Bruel Author Event– Nick Bruel is the author of “Bad Kitty” and will be doing an author talk and book signing at 6:30 p.m. at the Wichita Center for Performing Arts. This event is free when you pre-purchase a copy of “Bad Kitty: Kitten Trouble.” through Blue Baboon Books. This event is limited in space, and only those with advanced book purchase and one companion will be admitted. There will not be an opportunity to purchase tickets on the evening of the event.
**Don’t forget to join the Blue Baboon mailing list so you don’t miss out on any upcoming events or promotions. When you sign up, you’ll get coupons, notification about special events, and special offers. In addition, they promise to never sell your information to anyone else.
Wichita, KS 67203