Friends University illuminates the historic Davis clock tower on Nov. 20, 2022 at 6 p.m. This time-honored tradition on the Friends University campus at Rose Window Plaza is a symbol of the start of the holiday season for the campus and the Wichita community.
Whether you attend Friends University, or just live in Wichita, you know that the Davis clock tower stands out beautifully in the Wichita skyline this time of year.
Please note: Since plans can change on short notice, be sure to use the links in each post to double-check all events before you go.
At 6 p.m., enjoy several FREE festivities in the Rose Window Plaza as the clock tower lights up! This year, there’s also a very special guest.
Photo By: Mickey Shannon
Friends University’s own Singing Quakers and Brass Band will be on hand to perform along with the Friends University Band.
The Ceremony of Lights activities will begin with a welcome from President Dr. Amy Bragg Carey, a performance by the Singing Quakers, the reading of the Christmas story, an announcement of the student club Christmas tree winners, followed by the lighting of the Friends University Christmas lights including the iconic Davis Tower.
You can enjoy cookies, hot chocolate and Santa Claus will be on hand for photos!
The Friends University clock tower lighting event is FREE and open to the public. For more information, visit friends.edu/ceremony-of-lights
About the Davis Tower:
- It was built in 1886-88
- At the time it held more floor space under one roof than any other educational facility west of the Mississippi
- The building was originally constructed as Garfield University and was named University Hall. After Garfield University closed, the building was empty for five years until James M. Davis, a wealthy Quaker businessman, bought the building and donated it to the Society of Friends (Quakers)
- The building’s name was changed to the Davis Administration Building in 1923 in honor of Mr. Davis and wife Anna
- The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976
- The auditorium can seat approximately 680 people and features the stained-glassed Rose Window on the west wall and 20 other stained-glass window
- The auditorium was restored in the early 1990s and is used weekly during the traditional academic year for faith and learning as well as for performances, lectures, meetings and the occasional wedding
- In recent years, the Davis building has undergone a $10 million restoration to preserve the building so it may continue to serve students and the Wichita community into the 21st century
Date: November 20, 2022
Time: 6:00 pm
Location: Friends University, Rose Window Plaza
For more info: friends.edu/ceremony-of-lights
Photo By: NRCA Professional Roofing
Here is more Holiday Fun for 2022:
Your guide to Wichita holidays on the cheap!
Special Holiday Events:
- Day-by-day guide to Christmas and holiday events in and near Wichita
- Horse-drawn Carriage Rides
- Where to Visit Santa around Wichita
- Christmas Craft Shows and Holiday Markets
- How to make the holidays special when you can't afford big presents
- Non-Toy Gift Ideas
- Find Unique Gifts at these Local Wichita Shops
- Great Local Gifts Under $20
- Wichita Christmas Light Displays
- Botanica Illuminations
- Fulton Valley Farms A Country Christmas
- Christmas Tree Farms