Are you looking for a little getaway or want to spend some time outside of the City? El Dorado is a easy drive and close to Wichita, with lots of fun activities, museums, and a really cute downtown. El Dorado, Kansas, is an excellent place for a day trip with many FREE things to experience. We took our daughter and spent the whole day exploring.
In this article, you will find:
- Outdoor activities
- Shopping and More
- El Dorado Lake
- Annual Events
Where is Eldorado, Kansas: El Dorado is located 25 miles from Wichita
Things to do in El Dorado, KS:
- Coutts Memorial Museum of Art is FREE
- Over 1,000 works are housed behind the classic columns, including a fine collection of Prairie Printmakers’ prints, works by Thomas Hart Benton, Frederic James,
- and a number of fine regional painters.
- Butler County History Center & Kansas Oil Museum
- Learn of the influences of the Oil Boom on Butler County, and become absorbed in the “Glory of the Hills” in the comprehensive Flint Hills exhibit.
- WWII History Center
- The Center is dedicated to the history of the World War II era, and showcases information about the war on the European, Pacific and Home fronts.
- Baseball Hall of Fame
- Collecting, through donations, baseball artifacts, works of art, literature, photographs, memorabilia and related materials that focus on the game’s history over time, its players, and those elected to the El Dorado Baseball Hall of Fame.
- El Dorado State lake and Park
- Eighteen-hole Disc Golf course for amateur and professional play
- Bike path for biking, running, or a leisurely walk that begins at the El Dorado lake and wraps around multiple parks ending at East Park
- Many recreational parks great for kids, family reunions, and other festive events
- Golf Course
- City pool with diving boards, slide, and kiddie pools
- Two splash parks with playgrounds and gazebos
Shopping, Drinks and More:
- Walk down El Dorado Main Street, which has 16 works of public sculpture downtown
- Stop and take a picture by the replica Statue of Liberty at 205 W. Central Ave, El Dorado, KS
- Walnut River Taproom – With 12 taps, beer lovers can enjoy a wide range of styles in a relaxed, casual atmosphere.
- Club Vauldeville – Cocktails, Live Entertainment, Dining, Night Life! All in the old theater on South Main Street.
- Stop at the Central Cinema 6 movie theater for $5 matinees
- Vibrant Main Street full of shopping:
- Walters Flowers – Florist and gifts (you will feel like you are in a Hallmark Movie)
- Two Vintage Sisters – Vintage and consignment
- Retro Ricks Vintage – Antiques
- The Next Chapter Books and Novelties – Bookstore
- Robins – Clothing and accessories
- Restaurants we have been to and recommend:
- Willies’s – American Bar
- Beijing Bistro – Chinese
- Brewco Coffeehouse & Dilly Deli
- Two Brother BBQ and Burger Grill
- True Lies Bar and Grill – It’s a hoot! It’s a big dance hall, but we went in February of 2023 and had a great meal. They have a stage, old cowboy hats, and cool western decor. I could see it getting rowdy on weekends.
El Dorado Lake and State Park:
We can’t write about El Dorado and not talk about the Lake and State Park! You can fish, swim and boat on the water.
Location of the Lake: Located 3 miles east of El Dorado on US-54 and 1 mile north.
Information about the lake and park:
- 98 miles of shoreline
- 1,100 campsites and 10 cabins
- 3,500 acres of the wildlife area
- 4,500 acres of parklands
- Equestrian campground with arena and corrals
- Well-maintained trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding
El Dorado Annual Events:
Follow Wichita on the Cheap on social media to learn about events like these and whey they are taking place.
- 4th of July Celebration
- Dam Music Festival is usually in July. Click here for more info.
- Downtown Christmas Parade
- The City of Gold Festival is in September. Click here for more info.
- Ballet Wichita has been one of the pillars of the Wichita community’s arts organizations since 1973, helping stimulate a vibrant cultural landscape in Wichita and advancing the art of dance through exceptional performance and educational opportunities throughout the state. They do a FREE performance at the Park in Eldorado.