Written and compiled by a kid (my kid, to be specific!) who has grown up with this blog, this is a guide to tons of things to do with your kids this summer in Wichita. Note that these aren’t just activities for kids, like summer camps and story times; the emphasis is on things the whole family can do together. We will likely add to this list, so keep checking back! Here are some ideas of things you can do this summer.
Summer Family Fun Events in Wichita
(These are one-time activities. Scroll down for a list of ongoing activities.)
- June 2-11: Enjoy Riverfest! (Of course!) A Riverfest kid’s button is only $3 and gives you access to an entire week of fun activities!
- June 5: Take flight at Botanica during the opening of the Butterfly House. $2 off admission with your Riverfest button.
- June 6 and 7: Fish together for free in Kansas!
- June 9-12: Get up on your tiptoes and watch FREE Ballet in the Park.
- June 11: Walk with Wildlife at the Great Plains Nature Center.
- June 25: Celebrate 5 years of the Children’s Garden at Botanica. FREE!
- July 4: Enjoy your Freedom with our city’s big Fourth of July/Independence Day Block Party in Wichita. Or choose one of the many other 4th of July fireworks celebrations going on in our area.
- July 6-9: Have some old-fashioned family fun at the Sedgwick County Fair.
- July 16: Scoop up an appreciation for art at Wichita Art Museum’s FREE summer ice cream social.
Make sure you check the Wichita Free & Cheap Events Calendar too, because we’ll be adding events to it throughout the summer.
And subscribe to the free Wichita on the Cheap e-newsletter so you never miss a deal.
Summer Activities for Kids & Familes in Wichita
(These are ongoing events or activities available through most of the summer.)
- Visit all the city pools on Free Swimming Days.
- Watch the ring of fire around the Keeper of the Plains light up our sky.
- Get to the Keeper area a little early so you can look for the Troll. He’s hidden under the sidewalk that goes along the river – you’ll know when you’ve found him!!
- Cool off with FREE Interactive Fountains and Splash Pads in the Wichita area.
- Get a breath of fresh air with our Walking trails in Wichita.
- Visit Great Plains Nature Center for some completely free fun with nature.
- Be entertained for hours without paying a dime at Riverside park, zoo, and fountains.
- Take a thrilling trip to Tanganykia for Wild Wednesdays in June and July, where kids get in free.
- Take a stroll through our very own farmers markets.
- Stroll through the “roofless museum” of the Wichita Art Museum’s new Art Garden. Admission is free year-round, and on the third Saturday morning of the month, they have docent-led tours, also free.
- Enjoy gardens and games with $3 Thursdays and family game night at Botanica.
- Visit some citywide and/or neighborhood garage sales.
- The Final Friday Art Crawl is a wonderful time to enjoy the art in Wichita.
- Kick back and listen to jazz in the heart of Bradley Fair.
- Enjoy some “Art For Your Ears,” Free Summer Concerts by the Ulrich Museum at WSU.
- View some awesome outdoor sculptures around town.
- Go nuts with $1 tickets to the Wingnuts games every Monday night home game.
- Visit the Wichita Sports Hall of Fame on a Saturday afternoon or the Kansas Sports Hall of Fame at the Boathouse on a weekday. Admission is free, although donations are accepted.
- Cool off by watching the waltzing waters at the Waterwalk Fountains.
- Settle down by watching a breathtaking Kansas sun set from anywhere.
- Catch some family time with fishing in the Wichita metro area. (Kids under 16 do not need a license)
- Take a small trip to play mini-golf! Watson Park, Exploration Place, and All Star Wichita are a few places that have mini-golf.
- Float in a canoe or kayak down the Arkansas river.
- Learn some history about our city via our city museums and attractions.
- Museum of World Treasures offers discounted admission each month on Family Night.
- The Wichita Art Museum is free every Saturday, and on the fourth Saturday of the month they have a free Family Artventure.
- During June you can bring in your kids’ report cards to Family Video and get a free movie rental for every A!
- Beat the heat by coming to watch some inexpensive movies with your kids at Derby Plaza Theatre.
- Just like the Derby deal you can watch inexpensive kids movies at the Palace.
- Make Wednesday night movie night with $5 movies at Old Town Warren.
- Pull an all-nighter at Starlite Drive-in.
- Find a spot to pick some fresh berries, apples, peaches, or pumpkins at a you-pick farm near Wichita.
- Knock down some pins, because kids bowl free and grown-ups cheap all summer long.
- Summer reading programs are back! Get back in the books and have the kids sign up.
- Kids can get a free book through Barnes and Noble summer reading program.
- The WATER Center in Herman Hill Park is a great place to look at aquariums and learn about water.
- Play all afternoon at Watson Park, which has a miniature train to ride, pony rides, pedal boats, miniature golf, and three playgrounds. Activities are all very inexpensive, but you can also buy coupon books for even more savings. The park is at 3022 S. McLean Blvd. in Wichita.
- Get FREE admission to the Sedgwick County Zoo on Tuesday evenings in July.
- Get $1 admission to the Sedgwick County Zoo for the Back to School Bash in August.
- Explore Wichita like a tourist and get $2 off admission at some of our favorite local attractions.
- Bond over board games at the Sedgwick County Extension’s FREE Family Board Game Night!
- After all your fun, you can treat yourself and your kids with half price shakes after 8 at Sonic.
Still not enough ideas? There’s an older article from 2011 called Cheap Summer Fun in Wichita. You may want to check that one out too, for good measure.
Do you have littles in the toddler set? You’ll appreciate this big, big list of free and cheap kids activities compiled by Cynthia!